Constellation: Monocersos
Data: mag --  size ~0.5 deg
Position: RA 6h:38m  DEC +1:30'
This faint nebula is located about 3 degrees south of the Rosette nebula, and
along with Sh2-280 located a degree and a half northwest, form a pair of
nebulae that may or may not be associated with their bright, northern
neighbor. While Sh2-280 isn’t that bad and I had observed it from Alabama
multiple times, Sh2-282 was a different matter. I had failed to find it at
least twice from the more light polluted skies of Alabama.
Zeroing in on its location, I started the search using the OIII and 75X.
Sweeping back and forth across its location revealed nothing using this
filter, so I switched to the UHC, and began to notice a slight nebulosity
running in a north-south manner. I quickly replaced the UHC with the H-beta,
knowing that any object that is invisible in OIII and begins to become visible
in UHC is probably an H-beta target. Indeed! With the H-beta in the system, a
definite, 35’x15’ strip of nebulosity orientated in the N-S direction became
visible in a rich Milky Way starfield. Sweeping the scope was not required to
see object.
--
Optional related URLs: