Constellation: Pyxis
Data: mag 14.3p  size 482"x335"
Position: RA 8h:40.3m  DEC -20:54.2'
(Probable observation)- I took cracks at this object on 12/16 and 12/21. Since
I have already seen all the easy Abells, this object is of course another
exercise in retinal torture. Its magnitude is 14.3p, but don’t let that fool
you; its light is spread out over 482”x335”. Checking back in my notes also
reveals that I previously attempted this object on 11/23/06 from the Conecuh
National Forest, when I recorded it as 75% probable. Unfortunately, the Texas
skies just weren’t enough in this case. It’s located in a fairly dense Pyxis
star field, with MANY superimposed stars. Making the match with the Aladin
previewer chart at 75X, I added the OIII in a hope to finally convince myself
I was seeing this big planetary. I was able to detect a very, very faint,
broad glow spread out amongst the superimposed stars at the nebula’s position
on both nights. I feel 95% confident I was seeing the object, however, the
large number of superimposed stars leaves enough doubt to not rate this as a
positive observation.

--
Optional related URLs: