[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FOV vs moon discussion,etc

I can't set the alarm. Nothing short of nuclear attack wakes me up unless
my brain is programmed first, and the non-astronomer of the houshold would
NOT be amused if she was awakened just to wake me up:-!(Alarms work on her)
She already just shakes her head when I tell her I'm going out to stare at
the sky for hours, then get up and chase after Cicadas during the day. Life
is tough with a science nerd.I will however be attempting the alarm when
I'm up at the campground.
I was wondering where you were from. Perhaps that would be a good idea for
those who don't know each other yet (to mention what area of the country
you're from, that is.) Wayne
-------------
Original Text
>From Lew Gramer <dedalus@latradedot com>, on 5/9/96 2:40 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

Thanks for the message, Wayne! I would have responded to your message first,
 but
my screwy mailer just delivered it a few minutes ago...

You seem to have the same quandary I've always had, which is what to count
and
what not too. This is especially a problem as my eyes and brain fatique
during
the course of a long night's observing.

I guess the answer has to be (like you both say) "call them as you see
them". My
general rule of thumb now is, if I feel I can accurately assign a magnitude
and
a path & speed to the "thing", I call it a meteor and record it. Otherwise,
it
goes into that great unknown of sensory data... :)

Finally, I sympathize on the cloudy nights! New England Spring is not
exactly
known for its clear, reliable skies either. I've gotten into the regular
habit
of setting an alarm for myself at around 2 am, to check the weather and
maybe
grab a couple of predawn hours' observing. I can tell you I've gotten maybe
three nights out of twenty this way, so far. x^*