[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) visual vs. telescopic

>At 01:22 PM 5/29/96 -0400, Lew asked:

>How many out there are interested in telescopic or binocular meteor
>observing as
>well as visual? What setup have you used for this sort of observing? How and
>where do you report your observations?

I wanted to add a couple comments to my earlier posting. The first thing I
forgot is that reports should go to Malcolm Currie of IMO. He has reporting
forms and charts that telescopic observers should use when making these
observations.

Also, he and I have discussed telescopic observing as it might relate to the
work of NAMN. He has a couple of recommendations people should consider
before taking the plunge:

- new observers should become proficient with visual counts and plotting
first, as telescopic observing "builds" on these

- expect many more "slow" nights than when observing naked eye, so don't
lose interest

- and, one of the most important considerations is observer comfort. Do
everything possible to make yourself confortable as this observing can
become extremely difficult physically. (Malcolm has been doing this type of
observing for a while and can make recommendations here from trial and error).

Hope this little bit of information is useful to someone.

mark