[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Meteor Elevation Data

>The elevation may be helpful when calculating the real mass index within the
>stream. I have not digged into the formulae to find out whether this is
>considered. It seems all this is getting very complicated when done precisely.
>So I think your elevation notes can be help plott
ing.

>Rainer

  I have been including meteor elevation data for the past few years because
it was brought to my attention in Sky and Telescope article on meteor observ-
ing a few years ago. A meteor 45 degrees up is about twice as far as one at
zenith; so would be well over a magnitude dimmer. Important information to note
if you are recording and not plotting. I found with practice that it is pretty
easy. You simply estimate the elevation of the meteor seen when you make a magndot determination.

GWG