[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NLC or early twilight?

Timo Nousiainen <tpnousia@CC.HELSINKI.FI> wrote:
>>What might it have been then??
>Zodiacal light?

Quite possible, Timo!

I had thought of this, except that it didn't look like what I usually associate
with zodiacal bands - namely a gradually sloping, broader pyramid of light.
Also, the "quality" of the light (hue, dispersion, contrast, etc.) didn't seem
quite right for ZL. Then there were those two outer peaks at 0620UT... Lastly,
this was at a relatively Northern site (44N), in the morning, almost in Summer.
All of which seems to point away from ZL, I think.

Still though, I've never seen zodiacal light from higher than about 28oN
latitude, so perhaps that's all this was after all! I'll be watching carefully
this weekend, from another dark site less north and more west (Western Mass-
achusetts). Perhaps a repeat performance will convince me one way or another.

Thanks again for the interest!
Lew Gramer