[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re: video imaging by Brian Nestle

Thought I would reply to Brian Nestle's comments on trying video meteor
imaging to everyone on the list since there may be others interested in
this technique.  First off, be careful your not using a standard video
camera lens used on your basic Sony handicam.  They usually employ
infra-red blockers for better color balance in the visible where most
people shoot thier movies.  This will cause a loss of sensitivity to meteor
events.  Secondly, most of us who use video cameras that are low light
sensitive CCDs, couple them to image intensifiers to get down to limiting
magnitudes for "STATIONARY" stars of 9th magnitude.  This allows detection
of meteors to about +7.5 !  Without the intensifier the limiting magnitude
will be much brighter.  I would be interested in knowing what the limiting
magnitude of your video system is.  Since video equipment is evolving so
quickly these limiting magnitudes are probably out of date (one year old).
The folks in the Dutch meteor society have put together  some more recent
off the shelf hardware and may have some comments on thier system's
performance.  Do you plan to record on video tape.  If so, I would
recommend 8mm or Hi-8 if you've got it (VHS quality is not all that great
but if you must use it make sure the tapes are very hi
fidelity/professional recording types).  Biggest problem I find with video
meteor observing is watching the tape later for events. I am currently
working on an automated system to scan the tapes or the direct camera feed
using a PC and frame grabber.  Good Luck !!

Peter S. Gural

Science Applications International Corp                           351
Samantha Drive
4001 N. Fairfax Drive,  Suite 500
Sterling, VA 20164-5539
Arlington, VA 22203