[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible New Radiant

>BTW, any possible candidates from the historical radiants for this one, Gary?
>
>Lew

I haven't had a chance to check for historical candidates as yet, but I did
calculate a parabolic orbit. I provide this orbit below, with the Perseid orbit
given for comparison.

  Eta Perseids of mid-July          Perseids
Arg. of Peri.(deg.)  = 114.4         149.2
Asc. Node (deg.)     = 114.9         139.5
Incl. (deg.)         = 100.7         113.2
Peri. Dist. (AU)     =   0.718         0.942
Ecc.                 =   1.0           0.902

By using the D-criterion comparison technique first put forth by (I think)
Richard McCrosky and later modified by Jack Drummond, I find that a link
between these two streams seems extremely unlikely. The primary problem is the
perihelion distance, although the differences between the values for the
Argument of Perihelion and Inclination certainly do not help. The Ascending
Node difference also does not help, but I tend to ignore this difference since
it is expected to increase as each day passes anyway. My summary is that we may
have another newly found stream on our hands!

I am on vacation the next two weeks, but will check in occasionally. I am not
going anywhere, but hope to do lots of astronomy-type stuff. Among these are
work on my Cometography manuscript, write a paper detailing the Xi Draconids,
observe meteors and comets, and also check for previous candidates of the Eta
Perseids. In other words, I will be having fun.   :-)

Gary W. Kronk