[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Northern Va Meteors

Late contribution to this thread, but Pete Gural <pgural@trg1.saicdot com> wrote:

>This is the first time I tried plotting meteors, boy how do you do this when
>its 20 degrees out with wind chills?

I have to admit, Florida boy that I am, I've never done plotting in 20s weather.
(Once or twice did counting/describing sessions on the Geminids when it was that
cold in the Everglades, but I didn't even need to bring my hands out of the
sleeping bag to note the information at that time - I was well practiced then.)

I did just recently observe in 40s weather, with 40-50 mph winds though! (This
front that moved through last weekend really buffeted the Berkshire Mountains
where I was observing from.) The best thing I can suggest is thinsulate gloves,
inside woolen gloves with the fingers missing, and keeping your hands inside the
sleeping bag or cold suit you're wearing whenever not needed. Of course, you'll
still need to bring them out each time you see a meteor... No way around that
except building one of those observing coffins the NAMN Web site mentions. :)

BTW, are you in contact with any of the IMO folks doing video work, Pete? Seems
like they might be interested in working with an American co-observer, maybe?

Clear skies,
Lew