[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS (was re: soul & science)

>Meisel himself has told me that they are primarily interested in automated
>radio meteor monitoring and that their visual observing program is >secondary

George, this is interesting because about 2 years ago I received the same
response almost word for word from Dr. Meisel. I have been a member of AMS
for many years and found this new philosophy unusual in that it is in
opposition of the fine work that C. P. Olivier had done. In the past I had
done work for AMS such as indexing and writing for 'Meteor News,' but can't
really continue that under this new direction.

ALPO emerged as the primary force in U.S. meteor work several years ago, and
in less than a year, NAMN has exceeded what AMS is currently doing. I don't
understand why the AMS has taken the direction they have. Are there any
'old' AMS'ers [other than me :)], out there that can explain this shift?
(Lew...Norman...)

Mark Davis