[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Want to write a meteor observing page-turner!

At 1:59 AM 1996.07.23, GeoZay@aoldot com is rumored to have typed:

> << Also had an idea to write a "layman's log" of the observing I did this
>  weekend, and post it to meteorobs, ASTRO, sci.astro.amateur, etc. I'm
>  always excited to read other people's deep-sky observing logs - it usually
>  gets me out to observe the same objects - so it occurred to me that doing
>  the same thing for a meteor watch might drum us up some interest. Any
>  thoughts on what to write?
>   >>
> -----
> Lew,
>
> As to a meteor observers Log...I'm not sure what you are referring to
> really..dot can you give me an example so that I can get on the right track with
> you? My intrepretation of a log has been a quick summary similar to what bob
> and I sometimes do immediately after observing...not the finished copy
> however. Is this something similar to what you are referring?
> George Z.

Hi, George. Just answering this now, as I haven't checked my messages at
TIAC in almost a week! No, I'm thinking of something more suitable for a
general posting to the big astronomy forums on the Net: the ASTRO mailing
list, sci.astro and sci.astro.amateur newsgroups, #astronomy IRC channel,
etc. It would be a description of an evening's observing, maybe drawn from
several nights' worth of experiences, specifically designed to entertain
and interest people who are NOT already meteor observers. There are similar
reports sent in every few days to these forums by people who are deep-sky
observers, and the net effect of these "page turners" is to really increase
the interest of many of their readers in the deep-sky objects and
techniques described. That's what I'd hope to do for meteor observing...
Any suggestions anyone? Maybe a really spectacular event that happened on
one of your watches, that you wouldn't mind me stealing? :)

Lew