[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) soul & science (was Re: plot describe count)

George writes:
>My definition of a "first time observer" are those who are somewhat familiar
>with the word astronomy and perhaps looked up in the sky previously without
>being forced.

This is also my definition, but to look up in the sky does not require
familiarity with astronomy. We can't always assume this to be the case.
Didn't we all look up for the very first time without any knowledge of
astronomy, only an interest?

>I'd like to assume that the individual has taken some initiative to be
>interested in General Astronomy in the first place prior to me attempting
to >teach them how to observe meteors. I don't intend for NAMN to be so
basic that >the individual thinks a meteor report is simply a report of just
seeing a >solitary meteor by chance. I have to assume  the people that I
approach to >induct into NAMN are at least semi-educated with some degree of
astronomical >interests.

This would definitely make our life easier if it was always the case and
would reduce the amount of email I respond to. :>

But, for example, what of the person with no experience in astronomy, who by
chance sees a fireball or something, and becomes interested? Who do they
turn to for assistance? How are we to know if this person will not become so
interested that they want to begin the NAMN "training program?" Their
initial report to any meteor organization may be a solidary meteor by
chance, but future reports may meet IMO standards. (As a member of NAMN,
whether they observe or not, they will soon see what information is required
for a report due to the information we both make available to all members.)
Therefore, I encourage all organizations to at least make an effort to see
at what level this "new" observer's interest lies, and to let them know of
the possibilities in meteor science.

Mark Davis