[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Ruminations on New Observers:By a new observer

Wayne,

First of all, thanks for posting your views of new observers entering the
field of meteor observing. Up to know, it has been restricted to "officials"
of one organization or another...and there is some truth in not being able
to see the trees for the forest! :) Keep in mind that George and I, while
veteran observers, are novice network coordinators (just passed our one-year
anniversary!). Therefore, I find the input of our members extremely valuable.

I agree with you that you had good conditions (or bad depending if you want
to be outside) to learn the fundamentals. But that does not detract from the
great amount of time and energy you have put in to become a proficient
observer, and you should be congratulated for all the work.

Your point about scaring off the new "meteor-ites" you are involved with is
well taken, and one I am concerned with. Bob also mentioned this same
concern in one of his posts. Of course, you'll find people who won't be
scared off no matter what amount of data you ask them for (such as you). :>

I don't want to speak for Bob here, but the Lunsford "self-paced" method
does have a proven track record. Before Bob was the ALPO Meteors Section
Recorder, the group was non-existent under David Levy. Once Bob took over,
the section quickly rose to be the dominant group in the U.S. The self-paced
method has the advantage in that a new observer knows what is expected, but
can adjust the learning curve to their own situation.

Concerning the advantage you mention of having someone there to share,
answer questions, etc., this has been a goal of mine, so would welcome
additional input from your perspective on how I can improve this.

>I come from the front lines of Novice Observers, so I hope my opinions are
>appreciated.
Always!!

Mark Davis