[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Counting method time accuracy

GeoZay wrote:
>That reminds me..dot before anyone goes out to record, you might want to set
>your >watch by calling for time on the phone...in the U.S. it is 853-1212
>local.

Good idea to mention that, George. I'm not sure a local number is available
for many areas, BUT there are three other ways to get the official US time.
(And by the way, whatever you do, DON'T use your local phone company's time
service! They can be off by multiple minutes sometimes - Boston NYNEX
usually is!)

One source is an automated long distance number at the U.S. Naval Observatory:
        "Time Service provides USNO Master Clock time via voice announcer:
                (202) 762-1401 and 762-1069 (DSN same numbers)
         This voice service is also available via assured land lines (no
         satellite delays) on toll number:
                900-410-TIME = 900-410-8463.
         Toll charge $.50 for the first minute, $.45 each additional minute."

Or you can access a "real time clock" at the USNO Web site, at:
        http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/dt.html

Another is a "telnet service" (you can access this through your Web browser
if it supports telnet. Just say "Go" or "Open" and type in the following):
        telnet://tock.usno.navy.mil:13

This last is actually the best, because it gives you a 100th-sec accuracy
(it tracks network latency for you!), and visual feedback to set your watch
by (and it's free, which ain't unimportant!)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer, the purveyor of TOO MUCH information... ;)

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren