[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors going up

<< With discussions on meteors going in curves or sideways, wanted to ask
 if anyone has seen a meteor going up from below the horizon.  Reason I
 ask is that when we were observing last March from the roofdeck of an
 observatory, we were looking east and caught a streak of bright yellow
 light (est. mag -2) shooting up from the horizon.  This really caught
 us off-guard, and as this was around 3 a.m., we could not attribute it
 to anything man-made, like fireworks or rockets.  We suspect it was
 a particularly bright meteor that had a radiant just below the horizon.

 Jun
 < >>
-=-------
Jun,
If I understand your description correctly, it sounds like you are describing
what I call an earth grazer...a meteor that has it's radiant right at or just
below the horizon can do this...the meteor usually appears quite long.
George Z.