[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NSS-Discuss/ TWA Flight 800 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 23:03:19 -0400
From: Ruth Folchman & Richard Wagner <campr2@javanetdot com>
To: NSS-Discuss@ari.aridot net
Subject: Re: NSS-Discuss/ TWA Flight 800

[ NSS-Discuss message from  campr2@javanetdot com (Ruth Folchman & Richard
Wagner) ]

Harold W. Hamblet wrote:

>At work tonight someone said something that struck me.  And he said it
>only half jokingly.  "A meteor hit the plane."
>....... Anyone know how to figure the odds?

Apologies for late follow-up, but I've literally been in the woods. I
haven't a clue as to how one would figure the odds, but the probability is
definitely non-zero. John Lewis notes in his excellent book "Rain of Fire
and Ice" a New York Times report datelined San Francisco, September 28,
1934 which read:

"Plowing head-on at an altitude of 7,000 feet into a great shower of
meteors, some of which exploded with sufficient force to rock the ship, a
crowded New York-San Francisco plane of the United Air Lines figured in a
sensational sky trip at dawn today, which gave crew and passengers the
experience of a lifetime."

It nearly happened then...

Richard Wagner

-------
- NSS-Discuss - National Space Society member discussion (thanks ARInternet)
-  Please reply to sender:    campr2@javanetdot com (Ruth Folchman &
   Richard Wagner)
-  To send to everyone on list:   NSS-Discuss@NSS.org
-  For more info, send to:    MajorDomo@NSS.org
-          in body of msg:    help
-                             info NSS-Announce
-                             info NSS-Discuss