[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Daylight Fireballs

Sirko added:

>as Mark explained to you, it would be the best choice to report the
>fireball (and what you saw obviously was one :-) both to the local
>coordinator and directly to IMO's Fireball Data Center FIDAC (i.e. Andre
>Knoefel). In fact, it is really important to report the fireball to Andre
>a.s.a.p. for the following reason: The American DOD has several
>satellites up there which monitor the whole globe for suspicious rocket
>starts. Those detectors are also able to detect bright fireballs like the
>one you mentioned. Until two years ago or so those data where secret, but
>now the policy of DOD has changed and Andre could establish
>good contacts and obtains information about possible fireballs.
>In some of the recent WGN issues there have been descriptions of two
>-25 mag events (the brightest fireballs ever observed) seen over Oceania,
>which were witnessed by local fisherman and the DOD satellites. However, and
>here comes the big problem: The tapes with the satellite data are routinely
>erased after *one week*. So Andre needs to know about a possible satellite
>event *within two or three days* to warn the guys from the US army. Then
>they will save the tapes and have a closer look at the given time/place.

Thanks for adding that important point Sirko! Also, for the new subscribers
to this list, I wanted to add that here in the U.S., NASA has a U2 aircraft
standing by ready to attempt to collect data on the remaining meteor debris
after an extra-ordinary meteor event takes place.

Guidelines that have been established with Mike Zolensky of NASA's Johnson
Space Center in Houston are as follows:

1. Report fireballs in the -10.0 magnitude or greater range, especially if
it produces sonic booms has rumbling noises, or appears in daylight.

2. The NAMN and this mail list has been established as the point of contact.
Sightings may be emailed to me directly, or sent to this list.

3. At present, NASA is restricted to responding to extra-ordinary events
that occur in the United States only.

It is important that reports are received quickly...if at all possible,
within 12 hours. As I normally do not sign onto the list until the evening,
I suggest a report be sent to both me and the list. We have several people
that monitor the list throughout the day that are able to forward the
report. In any event, once I hear of the fireball, I will confirm that the
report has been sent to NASA if it meets the above guidelines.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Awendaw, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network (NAMN)
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO Meteors Section
Visit the NAMN home page at:
	http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html