[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A-T's of Sep. 9 and 10

My weather conditions have not been favorable. We have had clear skies the
last two nights and I have been able to make my comet observations, but by
1 a.m. we have had heavy fog rolling in across the whole region. I was only
able to observe for one-half hour on the night of September 9/10 and saw
only 5 meteors under hazy skies (this prior to the fog). One of these was a
Delta Aurigid and one was rather short-trailed near the Aries-Pisces border
and pointed right back to Alpha Triangulii. Its magnitude was 3.

Last night, September 10/11, I observed for only one hour before the fog
moved in. I spent the first half hour doing visual observations and saw
four meteors, two of which were clearly from the Piscid radiant, but none
came from the Aries-Triangulid region. During the last half-hour I
concentrated on the Aries-Triangulid region with a pair of 7x35 binoculars.
I saw two very short-trailed meteors in Aries, both of which could be
projected backwards to Alpha Triangulii. I estimated the magnitudes of
these two meteors as around 6-7.

None of the Aries-Triangulid meteors would allow a radiant determination.
Although I got some great comet observations, this has not been a good year
for me to observe this stream. Storms are moving in tonight from a cold
front. Maybe I can make another attempt tomorrow night.

Gary