[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Recording/receiving equipment

and Trond wrote:

>Mixing meteors on the paper roll.
>You can avoid writing meteors on top of each other by doing this:  When
>the observation starts, make a sharp bend 1.5 - 2 cm from the end of the
>paper.  Fold the paper a couple of times.  Now you have winded a small
>spiral of paper.  You also have a flat piece of the paper that is easy
>to write on.

Thanks guys for the helpful advice. I think I'll give it another try, mostly
because I am also concerned about the batteries going dead in the cold.

Trond also wrote:
>>Dew stuff first.
>Since it is also chilly, I stay inside a sleeping bag with the roll on my lap.
>You can solve your problem by doing the same, but this solution may
>not be relevant in a warmer climate(?)

That would be a consideration here along the southeast coast of the U.S.
where the temperatures would not allow sleeping bags but maybe during the
period December to February. But something smaller, such as a towel might
work by keeping it over the paper. An added benefit would be to keep insects
off the hands without have to use some type of repellant.

>So stick to the most important data, shower, magnitude and perhaps time.
>___________________
>|                 |
>|  04.40  3 P     |  For a third magnitude Perseid seen 04.40 U.T.
>|_________________|

This might create me a problem as I also record color, trains, and DCV. Of
course with high rates, I would begin to drop individual items of data. Of
course, not all meteors will display color or trains, so it might still be
possible to record all data.(?)

>I find myself that I spend considerably less time reducing data after
>an observation, using the roll method.  (Cassette data must be trans-
>formed to a paper first, but one can find hourly rates and magnitude
>distribution directly from the roll.)

This is definitely true, as I spend considerable time transcribing the tape
to paper after a session. The roll method would be superior, and since my
only reason for using tape in the first time is to prevent dead time, I
might be able to make a complete switch over. I'll have to look into it further.

Thanks for the input Trond!

Best,

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net