[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sporadic Flux Variations

Lew asked:

>A related question, I guess: where DO the various materials which make up the
>"sporadic background" originate from? Any takers on these questions?

Lew, not sure what you are searching for on "originate from" and may have
already answered this in my earlier message, but for our new members, will
respond with comets and asteroids. To continue on this line for those new to
the field, collisions of asteroids and outflow from comets produce the
meteoroids that make up both the showers and the sporadics. Taking the
comets as an example, we may pass the outer portion of its "meteor stream"
and so visually detect only sporadics as the activity is too low for us to
recognize. Gravitational perturbations or further collisions may cause
individual meteorids to leave their initial orbit and begin an orbit that
will one day cause it to meet up with the earth as a "true" sporadic.

Hope this helps!

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net