Date: 28 Sep 96 08:02:04 EDT
From: Rainer Arlt <100114.1361@CompuServedot com>
Subject: Camelopardalids

We had the Camelopardalids in our shower list of the Arbeitskreis Meteore (AKM)
in Germany too. The old list I found says maximum is on March 21. Well, I don't
know where this date comes from; all the other parameters are the same as you
quoted them.

By the way, 6.8km/s velocity does not take the Earth's gravity into account. The
meteors we see will show up with an pre-atmospheric velocity of 13km/s. It'
extremely slow anyway, but at slow speeds the effect is quite strong. Also the
radiant is shifted upwards above the horizon due to the gravity of the Earth.

This shift can be very large for slow meteors: v=6.9, -> vg=13 km/s

h    delta h
60   10 deg
30   20 deg
10   29 deg

You see the true radiant is a completely different position when far from the
zenith.

For v=30 and hence vg=32 km/s the effect is already much smaller:

h    delta h
60   1.0 deg
30   2.1 deg
10   3.1 deg

The kappa-Aquarid radiant suffers from the low speed too.

Rainer

------- End of Forwarded Message