[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor colors

George,

Thanks for the perspectives on meteor colors.  Have found in my limited
meteor observing
(compared to you guys) that the most common colors I see are whites and
yellows. A bright
Geminid I saw before was greenish white, while observing the Perseids two
years back, when
we saw a lot of bright yellow meteors that whizzed by across about 60 to 80
degrees of sky, we
were awed when a mag. -8 white fireball lit the sky from directly overhead
and slowly headed
north.  That was the most amazing one I ever saw.

Are there some meteor showers that show a distinct preference for a meteor
color other than
the usual yellows and whites?

George, you also mentioned a silver fireball - how is that different from white?

Jun