[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Oct. 16 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Nothing exceptional to report tonight. I overslept and only managed to
watch for 3 hours. It was much cooler and more humid tonight making
plotting a bit adventuresome. With damp paper, data and plots come out
much lighter plus you have to be careful not to rip the paper as you
force more pressure upon the pencil so that a legible line or number is
produced.

An extensive fog layer made the driving up to the observatory a bit
hazardous. The sky was nice and dark but not as transparent due to the
high humidity. Meteor activity came in spurts. I know George had a solid
30 minutes during the last hour of the night when he saw no activity.
This is frustrating especially when you finally see one and as you line
it up for plotting you see 1 or 2 more. You end up plotting only 1 where
you could have had 3 plots if they were more evenly spaced.

Comet Tabor was still barely visible to the naked eye but it looked
diminished compared to yesterday.

09:45-10:45 UT   0.89   6.76   1 EGE   2   NTA   5 ORI   2 STA   10 SPO

10:45-11:45 UT   0.92   6.66   1 EGE   4 ORI   8 SPO

11:45-12:45 UT   0.90   6.46   2 EGE   1 ORI   12 SPO

All hours had an F of 1.00. Teff was reduced due to plotting. I was
facing southeast at an altitude of 70 degrees during the entire session.
As with the previous sessions yesterday and last week, negative
magnitude meteors and satellites were scarce.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   47 F (8 C)   66%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   43 F (6 C)   85%

Bob Lunsford