[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov 7/8...Big winds

Well...I tried to observe tonight....but the Big Bad Santa Ana winds drove me
home. I was all set up and ready to go, but during my 7 to 10 pm nap on top
of the observatory became too much of an experience. It didn't take a "rocket
scientist" to figure out that it was going to be a very bad observing nite
due to the high winds. So rationalizing that it was not worth getting hurt I
decided to call it quits and come home. I lost power due to the wind...but
that would have been tolerable. I felt the cot lift up a couple times when
the strong gusts would hit. I had no desire to get blown off. The wind blew
so strong that I was almost having "out of body" experiences....So I took the
hint and boogey out of there.  I did manage to make 3 exposures of comet
Hale/Bopp right after sunset.  The comet looks just about the same as I last
saw it 3 weeks ago. I had to hold a piece of plywood up to protect the camera
from wind caused vibrations.  I'll evaluate tomorrow night's observing
potential before going up again.
George Z.