[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) In defense of the Perseids...and myself

<<  I agree with you here Norman. I highly suspect some of those U.S. Perseid
 > Counts might also include various other showers that were active as well
as a
 > healthy number of sporadics. Also, that one guy in Oregon(?) must have had
 > high LM as well.

-------
Well Wes...I guess I figured out who that guy in Oregon is huh? I wouldn't
take too much offense over your Perseid rates verses others... including
mine. I'm personally jealous that I didn't see the same kind of activity. I'm
glad you tried to follow the metoer observing guidelines etc. Some folks
don't and it makes one wonder if an unknown observer has done something out
of the norm that would account for such high rates. They don't explain in the
magazines how these unknowns come up with their data...that is their process
of doing it .  Some people I know combine data when in a group...which is a
no-no. Also they count all meteors as members of  a prominent shower. The
Aquarids you mentioned (The SDA, NDA, SIA, NIA) my combined on the peak of
the Perseids totaled 29.  If you add the CAP's and the KCG's...totaled for me
was 14. My sporadics totaled 25.  Now if some unknown observer adds these
together with their Perseid tally, they can come up with some interesting
rates. You apparently followed the meteor observing rules...great! Also I
notice you mentioned your LM was around 6.5...this also accounts for an
increase of rates..dot compared to me, my LM was near 6.0. The magazine didn't
mention any LM's to give one a hint to compare rates from.  You should have
seen more based on the increased LM alone. As for the other active radiants
that are far from the Perseid radiant...some of their shower members can
still line up with the Perseid radiant even if they are on the other side of
the sky...even sporadics can line up with the Perseid radiant. Not knowing
who you were would make me suspect the possibility that a new observer might
be not taking into account a meteors path length to the radiant for
eliminating non Perseids.   Another factor not mentioned in the article...you
might be one of those individuals with an incredible wide angle
vision....Like Robert Lunsford and a few others that I've heard about. Your
rates aren't really too farfetched...just suspicious when you don't know
anything about the observer. Sorry I didn't recognize your name though. I
apologize for any offense my comment may have suggested and hope you have
some more clear weather for the Leonids and Geminids as well.
George Z.