[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Tape Recorders

Hi All

I have been reading with interest the mail regarding the use of tape
recorders for taking notes, etc.  Unfortunately, for me anyway, the Leonids
turned out to be a big "dud", but I had been planning on trying a different
approach.  My plan was to use my video camera and run it continuously
throughout the session to record the time only on the video track.  I could
then talk to it and I would have an audio record of my commentry and a video
record of the exact time of my comments.  I did discuss this with Bob who
pointed out that it would be a long and boring process transcribing these
tapes, which is true.  With a little practice it should be possible to "Fast
Forward" between comments and speed up the process.  Thinking this a little
further as I type, you could switch the camera  On and Off while recording,
just as with a regular tape recorder.  In fact my camera has a remote
control, which would make that task easier.   It would still record the
correct time on the video.

Another great advantage I see for you brave souls in colder climes is that
by using "Method 1" (above) you could put the camera down in the sleeping
bag, to keep the batteries warm, and not have to press any buttons.  There
would have a different problem with batteries, though.  I have a battery
belt with three batteries that are supposed to run for about two hours each,
but I am lucky if I get more than twenty minutes from each.  With the belt
arrangement  I can instantly switch batteries and then charge the discharged
battery from my car battery.  I was hoping that I would get a more
reasonable time from each battery as I would not be using the "Zoom", which
is the big battery eater.

As I said, I have not tried this method, but it does provide food for
thought.  I would be interested in any comments.

Ron