[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor photos

At 22:25 21-11-96 +0000, you wrote:
>Casper,
>
>Greetings and congratulations on your crash-teams' efforts.  You
>certainly have the advantage being on the mainland, with many fast
>roads (unless the French drivers, farmers etc. decide to protest)
>being to drive to find the clear skies.  I suppose there is some
>'scope in the UK, and once the Chunnel is re-opened that could be used
>too, but it's expensive to do it often.

Hi Malcolm,

We were arguing to use the chunnel to drive to the UK when the weather
forced us to go to the west. But when you drive to Devon and the weather
changes there is no way to escape from it. That was one of our arguments to
stay on the mainland. In Normandie or Bretagne one could go north, east or
south when weather changes. In fact we have been observing in one of the
tiny clear spots while almost the whole of Europe was covered by clouds.
This luck is mainly due to our meteorologist Jacob Kuiper who guided us by
GSM mobile phone to that spot.
Observers of team Delphinus include:
Marco Langbroek, Koen Miskotte as visual observers and Robert Haas and
myself as photografers. Our second team consisted of Marc de Lignie and Jos
Nijland.

>> >Given all these persistent Leonid trains, has anyone been able to capture
>> >them on film, and more importantly, obtained spectra?
>
>> Yes, the observers of team Delphinus captured about 20 Leonids on film!
>
>Note that I was talking specifically about photographing _trains_
>images and spectra.

We had image intensified video systems with us but did not set it up due to
the changeable weather situation. I am sorry to say we do not have obtained
persistent trains and spectra.

>> http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm
>
>Thanks.  I have your page in my meteor bookmarks.  I had a look, but I
>didn't locate any '96 Leonid images.  A bit early I guess.  Given the
>preponderance of very persistent trains at Leonid maximum, I think it
>would be a great project to have a spare camera (or two) with a
>grating ready to capture some Leonid train spectra.  The grating needs
>to be adjustable to give dispersion perpendicular to the train.  These
>days it may be better to capture and/or process the data digitally.  So
>one could take a series of images as the train distorted,
>geometrically correct the train to be linear (and hence the spectrum),
>which could be coadded along the direction of motion to give a decent
>signal-to-noise.

I suppose you are using a browser which cannot display frames? If so, please
try to download a newer version. I have updated to "no-frames" page. If
everything is OK you should be able to find our Leonid results now!

>All the best to you and your heroic teams (even Jacob (-:, remember
>the thunderstorm at the Puimichel IMC and my car).
>
>Clear skies for the Geminids,
>
>Malcolm

Same to you!

Casper.
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|       World Wide Web: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm        |