[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A creative way of recording meteors!

Alright.  Here is my idea:

For each meteor you expect to see(like now maybe 10 per hour.  For the
Geminids-maybe 80-100.),make 6 paper footballs(I assume you know how to make
them.  Make the really big ones.  One corner to the other corner must measure
at least 1 inch(2.54 cm).).  For the Geminids, make 500-1000 paper footballs.
I calculated how long this would take.  If each paper football takes 2 minutes
to create, and you make 750 of them, it would take 25 hours.  This sounds kind
of a lot, but if  you take care of them, they will last at least 50 hours of
observing.

Now you need to drink soup(well, you can drink hot soup during a sub-freezing
observation session!).  You will need to get around 30 soup cans.

THIS NEXT STEP IS NOT NECCESSARY, BUT IT WILL BE COVENIENT.
You may be thinking what this has to do with recording meteors.  Just one
last, but lengthly part.  Obtain 30 red LED's(1.7v type)and 6-8 9v batteries.
This is the only thing that cost anything.  The LED's cost $1.35 for a package
of ten(a total of $4.05)and the 9v's are relatively expensive(right now I have
7 of them---when my dad puts fresh batteries into the smoke dectectors, I get
the old ones-which didn't give out their power very often).  6 of them would
cost you about $10-$15.  One more thing---a AC switch(You have probably 10+
already in your house(They turn your lights on in your house)).  I can get
them for $0.57 each(you only need one.)

Now, put an LED on each can(a long job!)and wire it so that it is one circuit
and when the 9v's are connected with snap cables(you know, the things that
snap on to the terminals.)and the switch is turned on, the LED's will light
up.A WORD OF CAUTION-THIS WILL PROBABLY TAKE AROUND 50 HOURS.  I DO NOT
RECCOMEND THIS STEP, BUT IF YOUR SITE IS REALLY, REALLY, DARK, THEN MAYBE.

If you choose not to use the LED's, then just use an ordinary red flashlite.
The LED's are better, but the flashlite is easier to use and has less of a
cost, and less frustration assembling the LED's.

Now label each can.  Here is a table:

Can #1-TIME
Can #2-SPEED/0
Can #3-SPEED/1
Can #4-SPEED/2
Can #5-SPEED/3
Can #6-SPEED/4
Can #7-SPEED/5
Can #8-COLOR/W
Can #9-COLOR/G
Can #10-COLOR/O
Can #11-COLOR/R
Can #12-COLOR/Y
Can #13-TRAIN
Cans#14-#18-SHOWER CODES
Cans#19-#30-MAGNITUDES
------------------------
Shower Codes-(need to be explained???)Label each can with current showers(make
one can sporadic.)

Magnitudes-Label one can for each whole magnitude.
OPERATION
1.You see a mag 2 Geminid with a speed of 3 with a 1/2 second train, green, at
0356 UT.
2.On Football#1, write the time on the football and toss it in the TIME can.
3.On Football#2, toss it into the mag 2 can.
4.On Football#3, write 0.5 on the football and toss it into the train can.
5.On Football#4, toss it into the Geminid can.
6.On Football#5, toss it into the green can.
7.On Football#6, toss it into the speed 3 can.
8.You get ready for the next meteor.
ANALYSIS
I will show you approx. how much time has passed.
1.00:00
2.00:03
3.00:04
4.00:07
5.00:09
6.00:10
7.00:12
8.00:13
It normally takes George Zay 10 seconds to write his data down.  It used to
take me 60 seconds.  Now my time has shrunk incredibly!!!
Each football must be numbered.  I will make footballs for you, if you send me
your address.  I will only charge postage.  How does a flat rate of $5 sound?
Does anyone know what the post office charges(price per ounce?)?  Here's my
address; my e-mail address is:

pued@msndot com

Postal Address:

Jonathan Wojack
2010 Walmsley Drive
Wilmington, DE 19808
Please just give it a try---you can't press the pause button by accident!!!

Jonathan