[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Recording - sound & colour

At 04:06 AM 11/23/96 PST, you wrote:

>     Ron,
>          Great thoughts on figuring out colors for different people!  Do
>you suppose the monitor settings could be different though?  I could e-mail
>a color wheel attachment of some sort to try to set up a color correction
>chart.?  It's too early to think correctly right now though.

Chris

Since I sent my last message I have done a little more experimenting with
the paint and draw program.  I was at home alone and could only test my own
sight.  Later on I checked out my wife's and son's visual response on the
same test and the results were very interesting.

That program has a feature called "Hue" which shows a spectrum starting at
red and blending through green and blue back to red.  It divides this
spectrum range into 240 divisions and by moving the cursor across it will
indicate which division the cursor is sitting in.  Red is at 0 and 240;
green is a third of the way across at 80; and blue is two thirds across at
160.  This would mean that an equal mixture of green and blue would be at
120, which is halfway across the spectrum.  It also displays a color pane
showing the exact hue the cursor is set on.

Now to the tests.  It is very difficult to be precise about when you
actually see it turn from green to blue, but with a little practice we were
able to get it down to two divisions.  We would move the cursor carefully
back and forth across the turquiose area of the spectrum, and watching the
color panel until we each thought it looked equally blue/green.  My results
showed 118/119  and my son 119/120.  The surprise was my wife who was up in
the 123/125 area which looked very blue to both my son and myself.   What my
son, and I perceived as equal blue/green my wife saw as very definitely
green.  Interesting.

This is only a relative test which is still subject to the colors as shown
ont the monitor, but it does show that individuals do vary in their
perception of colors.

I have no doubt that vision experts have conducted far more scientific
investigations in this area.  It would be interesting to see what they
investigated, how they did their tests and what their results showed.
Another interesting area would be the one that Cathy raised; i.e. Is there a
way to check how dark adapted vision compares, colo(u)rwise, to normal
daylight vision.

Ron