[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) CALL FOR HELP! A talk on meteors...

Lew,

A talk I've been thinking of preparing in case I get asked at short notice,
is on recent developments in meteors, to try and make it sound exciting
in the hope some of the audience will become meteor observers.

So it would include the story of the Perseid second peak, outburst
showers like the alpha-Monocerotids, periodic showers such as the
topical Leonids (and how the contribution of amateurs is vital), other
discoveries from global analyses, unusual returns from familiar
showers (Lyrids, Ursids), the alpha-Triangulid controversy, recent
video (perhaps showing Sirko's "Director's Cut"), taking along my
video camera, photographic, and telescopic results (especially new
showers and rediant structure), and could take along my telescope as
another prop, etc.  If you can devise a demonstration to illustrate
some physics or a point. (For instance how about something to visualise
Peter Jenniskens' theory for far-comet outbursts?)

We've learnt so much since IMO was formed.  Let's try to convey some
of our enthusiasm and excitement.  We want to show that meteor
astronomy is vibrant, unpredictable, and fun.

With the Internet one can obtain pictures more easily, though I'd like
to see a slide set of the best meteor photographs made available for
sale through IMO.  (Comments Casper?)  For Q&A I'd have some reserve
overheads on the Leonid maximum times for 1997--2001 and where to
observe.

> (what little I know) about the orbital dynamics of meteoroid streams: I
> already have a fan, and various sized pieces of paper (cut into the shape
> of snowflakes to simulate comet ice), to illustrate mass-sorting. And I've
> come up with some lovely black board drawings I can use to illustrate the
> ellipticalization of meteoroid orbits due to perturbations.

A heavy topic, but given good demonstrations it might work.

> understanding in the talk, or (worse yet) in the Q&A afterwards.

Yes.  It was common to get asked about parent comets and I frequently
got my Tempels and Tuttles mixed up.  It's so embarrassing.

> The other thing I've thought of talking about was simply the more "mundane"
> topic of amateur meteor observing: how to do it, why it's useful, etc. If
> done well, this might win over some converts, but ain't likely to win too
> many awards for most jaw-dropping, cliff-hanging meeting-talk of the year...

As part of the proposed talk, I'd mention how the observations were
made/reduced in passing, but not in gory detail---that's too dull.  For
some reason at BAA meetings I'm always asked to talk about telescopic
methods, when I want to present new results.

I'd have some short handouts available if people wanted to find out
more about observing meteors, containing relevant postal and e-mail
addresses, useful URLs, books.  In Lew's case a few copies of the NAMN
observer's guide might be handy too.

> So now I'm looking for help from the list. What do YOU think: should I talk
> about the more exotic and theoretical stuff, and either wow them or look
> like a darned fool; OR should I go for the more practical amateur topic,
> and look like a (relative) expert, but maybe bore them all. (Just some
> background: no one else at the club has yet evinced much interest in trying
> meteor observing...)

So you have to make meteors sound attractive, and observing them fun.
A few amusing anecdotes can help (preferably before your audience is
already asleep).

Malcolm