[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball Magnitudes

> As someone stated here a while back, many inexperianced observers will
> overestimate the brightness of a fireball. This is understandable, but
> it really isn't easy to estimate

...and many experienced observers grossly underestimate, especially
when there is a terminal flare.

BTW my understanding of bolide was an exploding fireball.  My Newnes
dictionary says "a large, briliant meteor, esp. one that explodes; a
fireball." Chambers is almost the same.  Substitute "bursts" for
"explodes".  However, non-technical dictionaries are unreliable on
scientific matters, e.g. defining precision as accuracy.  In addition
the meaning of words change, so if like Humpty-Dumpty, we choose
bolide to mean an exploding meteor, then that's what a bolide is.

Malcolm