 Duncan

 Date:  Sun, Dec 15, 1996 6:39 PM PST

 The Associated Press
 By FREDDY CUEVAS
 Associated Press Writer

 TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) -- A meteorite slammed into a sparsely
 populated area of Honduras last month, terrifying residents and
 leaving a 165-foot-wide crater, scientists confirmed Sunday.
       Villagers reported seeing a fireball crash and break into small
 red and yellow pieces on Nov. 22 near San Luis, in the western
 province of Santa Barbara. But Sunday's statement was the first
 official word that the object was a meteorite.
       Maria Cristina Pineda, a physicist from the National Autonomous
 University of Honduras, said Sunday that the meteorite was composed
 of materials that were 4 billion years old, Pineda said.
       There was no word on the dimensions of the meteorite, but it was
 much smaller than the size of the crater. Some 50,000 years ago, a
 meteorite 180 feet wide smashed into northern Arizona and dug a
 crater 4,000 feet wide. And a 300-foot meteorite struck in Siberia
 in 1908, leveling trees for miles.
       Residents of San Luis, 125 miles west of the capital, were
 terrified by the meteorite's crash, which sparked a fire that
 destroyed several acres of coffee plants and damaged a main
 highway.
       ``We saw a large ball of fire, with a long tail that rapidly
 descended from the sky and fell near San Luis, before our
 incredulous eyes,'' said Elmer Adan Rivera, a teacher from the
 region.
       ``I arrived almost immediately to the site of the explosion,''
 said peasant Francisco Aguilar Sabillon. ``There were enormous
 flames, and everything was destroyed. Because of that I fled from
 the place, frightened.''
       Authorities have asked those living nearby to stay away from the
 crash site. The meteorite did not appear to have any properties
 that would pose a threat to humans, they said.