[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) On sleep, observing and circadian rhythms

<< One last question.....for those who find it difficult to get to sleep in
the
 evening that first night, how would over-the-counter sleep 'aids' figure in?

Sleep aides was going to be my question.  My usual strategy is after dinner I
have two glasses of wine and off to bed (8pm). Believe it or not I put the
Weather Channel on...after the first twenty minutes its just like a rerun
anyway and I guess the voices and soft music help me fall out. Then the alarm
gets me up by 11pm and then my hours drive to the observing site, then I'm
good to go until dawn. Once I tried an over the counter 'aide' I won't
mention for the junior members of the group and it seem to work just as well.
But the phrase 'better living thru chemistry' went out in the 70's (?).
Am I getting myself used to something I shouldn't be doing.

<<As for people who work normal 9-5 jobs or go to school it must be very
difficult to observe for more than an hour or two without falling asleep..>>

I feel I'm luck there as I can arrange two 24 hr shifts and I'm done for the
week.

Kevin