[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Where we all are.

Thanks for such a great response.
There are three astronomy clubs in the Houston area, and I belong to all  of them.
The Houston Astronomical Society has a site west of Houston off  I-10 near Columbus with good skies.  The Fort Bend Astronomy Club has a 18" scope in the east dome at the George Observatory in Brazos Bend State Park.  There is also a 36" scope in the main dome, and a c-8 in the west dome.  The George Observatory is southwest of Houston about 30 miles and the skies there are good, considering the closeness to a large city.  The Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society
( I'm the president ) has no site, but one of our members has a 32" scope with a roll-off-roof  parked out in the middle of a cow pasture ( don't want to drop any eyepieces out there) that is about 1 -1 1/2 hours away with really nice skies, when it's clear of course.  If you look on a Texas map and find Sweeny, or better yet Danciger, you've found the spot.

I do most of my viewing from the back yard (ugh!) and go to The Texas Star Party almost every year, plus make other trips to West Texas as often as I can.
One of the worst problems we have down here viewing is humidity, which translates to mosquitoes.  If someone would develop a mosquito filter it would sure make a lot of us happy.
I also do variable stars, go on grazes, and went to India in 95 for the solar eclipse.
Astronomy is my only hobby, because when you stay up all night there is not much time for any others.

And what Cathy said is true, you might be the only person able to observe.  And that's a real good reason to keep observing.

Now for my best meteor observing experience.....
In 93 I was watching the perseids, and right as I saw this really nice bright one streaking down, I heard it !!!!  It made a sort of sizzling noise like the sound bottle rockets make when they are set off.
Has anyone else heard a meteor?

Becky Schultz