[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Observation

Although skies were crystal clear this morning, they were noticeably
brighter than yesterday morning. Despite this the comet was still an easy
naked-eye object and I estimated the brightness as 2.6, slightly fainter
than yesterday. I never bother with naked-eye coma diameter estimates
(except for Hyakutake), so I used the 7x35 and 20x80 binoculars for this.
Neither instrument revealed the coma diameter and tail length as yesterday,
which accounts for the APPARENT fading. This is the second day in a row
that I have noted the coma diameter and tail length decreasing because of
moonlight. The 20x80's revealed the nearly stellar nuclear condensation as
about magnitude 3.5 or 3.6 and the tail length as 1.5 degrees.

Gary