[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) color of fireballs

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

> I will make an IMO report about it later on but the question is :
despite the
> low elevation of the fireball (almost parallel to the horizon with an
altitude
> of 20 deg.) it had a green color observed by any fellow around us,
even
> newbies. Should't this green color be absorbed by the atmosphere at
this low
> level of altitude ?

Jean-Christophe, I have seen brilliant green fireballs right down to the
horizon. In fact all of my green colored fireballs have been seen below
45 degrees altitude. These meteors were so intensely emerald it would be
hard to imagine that they would appear a different color if seen
overhead.

Bob Lunsford