[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Shower rates

<<
 The rates you quoted are indicated as general guides to activity for
 newcomers.  Quoting ZHR's here would be a little misleading; if you tell the
 inexperienced observer to expect 100 Perseids per hour, he'll figure that's
 what he should see from his suburban front yard, standing under the
 streetlight and looking up!  That's what always seems to happen in the
 general media; every year I hear the news stories about the Perseids,
 promising 80-100/hr.  They leave out the part about "under dark skies, with
 no moon, well after midnight", etc.  Then the public heads out under the
 streetlight at 9 pm, sees nothing, and says "Just like that darn Comet
 Kohoutek!". <<

Observing conditions vary from place to place....that's why the ZHR standard.
If you are giving rates for those to see under lighted conditions such as
around street lamps, your rates still might be too high.  When you give
people meteor shower rates it should be explained at the same time that this
is under dark skies and during the showers peak period. If the newsmedia
screws it up by leaving out what kind of observing conditions they should be
under, don't compound the problem  by going along. A meteor observing
organization is suppose to be the leader in this field...not the newsmedia.
 Don't be wishy washy. If you cater to those who will observe under very bad
conditions, they are going to be disappointed any how. Encourage them to go
to a darker location so they won't be discouraged...and give them the
standard ZHR rates at the same time.  Don't try to be a Master of Ceremonies
at a show for the public...give them the straight poop like a professional.

 >>And of course you and I know that peak shower rates in some cases last
only
 a few hours at best.  What realistic rate rate do you quote the public for
 the Quadrantids?  For most of us (except Norman McLeod in Florida, the lucky
 dog) it was pretty darn low this year.<<

Quote the standard rate for it's peak hours....ZHR 120 and explain that this
is during a very short period and to expect far lesser rates outside the peak
hours...about 40. Most folks who were able to observe the Quads this year had
relatively high ZHR's...that is those who had clear skies.  I think very few
people were able to observe due to weather...not because the rates were low.

 >>So for consumption by the general public, those numbers are not too far
off.
 Obviously, the 15 rate given for the Leonids is a little low in light of
 recent events.  Some of the others may need adjustment as well.  Once
 someone gets hooked, though, then we can all teach them the ins, the outs,
 and the art of meteor shower rates. <<

Not too far off?  Geminids at 50?...maybe under a full moon? If you are
giving very low rates for the major showers...why not adjust proportionately
for the lesser showers you have listed as well? Under the conditions you have
explained and for the general public's consumption, the other showers should
barely be noticeable realistically?  For the public, your rates are high for
the lesser major showers and very low for Major Major showers. I wouldn't try
BS'ing the public...just speak to them in the standard language of meteor
observing....less confusion for those who will become more serious
later...and it wouldn't matter for those who won't be.

George Zay