[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Off topic- Hale Bopp Observation

Date: Feb.19, 1997

Time: 0850 UT

Location: Dalhousie University ( inside lounge looking out windows )
, Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Observer: Michael Boschat

Latitude: N 44d 39'

Longitude: W 63d 36'

Height above sea level: 58 meters

Limiting mag.: 4.5

Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 2

Instrument: naked-eye, 7x50 binoculars

Magnification:

Object(s): Comet Hale-Bopp

The sky was hazy and high thin cirrus cloud was moving in from the west,
I looked out the big windows of our lounge at Cygnus, and there it was,
Hale-Bopp with the naked-eye. It looked like a star, again I estimate it
at 2.1 magnitude and blue. Of course it was still about 20 degrees off
the horizion or so and this estimate may be a bit off.
In the 7x50's it looked blue and an elongation ( tail ? ) pointing to the
south-south-west.
After that the cloud came in a bit more and the comet became dimmer and
I stopped observations.

Clear skies

Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             FAX: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1          ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed