[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Little Stuff

I said:

>I also threw in some actual observed rates for fun

And I probably sort of confused the picture.  I didn't intend them as a
criricism of NAMN or its observations, just as an example of what real live
trained observers saw to contrast with the quoted rates.  I am very aware
that they aren't directly comparable.

Then Lew said:

>I noticed that you didn't include any sample observed rates from AMS data,
>although you found it pretty easy to include the NAMN data in your message:

This is in fact the topic of some conversations I had with Mike Morrow and
others in the AMS just last December.  The answer is that Dr. Meisel doesn't
feel(and, after some thought, I very much agree) that publishing masses of
raw data serves any real scientific purpose, that publication of the
analysis of data should be our goal.  That's the 'analysis and publication
of results' part of our goals, see the Publications part of the AMS web
page.  And by the way, I know some of you out there are AMS members, and I
know you are writing papers and articles for various publications, if you
would like me to mention them, just send me an e-mail with details and I'll
put 'em on.

>I think people understand and are truly sympathetic to the reasons for this
rankling inaccessibility, but I was just wondering if this was an area where
AMS was planning on taking any steps in the near future?

Not that I'm aware of.  The archive is, of course, open to legitimate
researchers at any time, but that means you must physically go to Geneseo,
and since we have no $$$ to provide librarian services, you have to do your
own digging, copying, etc.  The archive consists of some 300,000 separate
pages, with over 1 million meteor events.  I have some thoughts about the
archive and computerization, but the obstacle is money.  The AAVSO, a
(comparatively) well funded amateur-professional organization has been going
through a major database computerization for the last several years.  Their
database consists of over 8 million individual variable star observations,
and they've managed to get it done, but with a lot of expense in computer
equipment and clarical help.  It's just plain out of reach even if we wanted to.

And now a word on public education.  I don't think any of our organizations
has a mandate to educate the general public at all.  The media may turn to
us as a resource, but as far as going out to actively educate the masses, we
don't, and none of has the resources to do it if we wanted to.

The mandate the AMS has is:

To encourage and promote research activities of both amateur and
professional astronomers who are directly interested in meteoric astronomy.

To observe, monitor, collect information, plot and report on meteors,
meteoric fireballs, meteoric trains, and related meteoric phenomena.

To establish a network of radiometeor stations.

To publish scientific materials dealing with meteoric astronomy.

To publish a newsletter dealing with meteoric astronomy.

To carry on any other scientific or public service activities relating to
meteoric astronomy.

And that's it.

What Dr. Olivier had and what Dr. Meisel has continued is the tradition of
accepting all comers to our ranks and helping them to become good observers,
with all that that entails.  I feel quite strongly about this as well, I
started observing at the age of 13, when Mike Morrow took me under his wing
and showed me the ropes.  I am quite serious when I say I owe almost
everything I have to him.  I would probably be dead or in jail somewhere if
I'd continued on the track I was on as a teenager, rather than getting
involved with meteors and astronomy.  It gave me an intellectual outlet that
I sorely needed, and literally kept me out of trouble.  As Jim Richardson
has said, a lot of people got their start with AMS, and we're proud of it.

The question each organization has to ask itself is, who do we want coming
in the door to join us?  I know the AMS answer, and I'm happy with it.  The
IMO seems to want to be the elite, and I've said today what NAMN looks like
to an outsider, and listened to the rebuttal.

I apologize for leaving the ALPO out of this particular discussion, they are
indeed a presence in US meteor activity, but I don't know a great deal about
what they're up to.

Well, enough of my scribbling for one day.  Aloha to all, and to all a good
night.

Jim B.