[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [New subscriber interested in radio meteors]

Regarding radio meteors:

Jack Meyer wrote:>>> I am especially intrested in radio detection of
meteors and was
looking for anything on meteorobs in that regards.  I did just finish
setting up a basic radio meteor observation system for my brother in Chino
Valley AZ, so that is my main intrest.<<<

Steve wrote: >>....How about describing your setup.  I live on the coast of
California and about
half the time the skies are covered by fog.  It would be nice to be able to
observe without having to drive to the nears publicly access high mountain
which, after you get there, may or may not be above the fog....<<<

Greetings new radio meteor observers.

There are a few radio meteor observers on this list.  Your questions are
welcome.

I can supply information via email. There is the RMOB (Radio Meteor
Observer's Bulletin) FAQ  (Frequently Asked Questions.) Jim Richardson has
info from AMS but it just came out and I need to get it. George Zay also
has good introductory info in one of the NAMN bulletins . ( But I don't
know which one or where it can be retrieved from. Help somebody?)

The IMO web site has good meteor info as well.

My observatory is in Santa Fe, New Mexico and I observed/charted full time
for a year and a half recently.  Now I just observe at shower peaks and for
special events. My personal interests are fireballs, impacts, space dust
induced sporadic-E and anomalies. I have a good interference free radio
zone and can work up to four radios/antennas in a fanned array.

It is easy to set up a radio observatory as long as you can get a clear
frequency to use for forward scatter.

Something both of you may be interested in is forward scatter reception of
space shuttle re-entries. The space shuttle is interesting to me in that it
might act as a "laboratory fireball" of sorts.

Welcome to this list. It's pretty good info sharing and observers here are
impeccable scientists.

Clear skies,

Tom Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory