[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Glenn T.'s question

>>>... The local media (not tabloids) will be gathering first week
of March to discuss in a closed confidential meeting, a scenario wherein
the main focus will be how do you inform people about these events "if
ever" the earth was directly involved. They will be discussing "what do we
tell the public?" For once they will not be discussing "what about our
prestigious papers reputation?"...<<<

Glenn,

(First a disclaimer:  The following is just my opinion. I am no expert. For
me this meteor observer's email list is conversational, not authoritative.
Okay?)

If a comet/asteroid was known to be on a collision course with earth then
Science would respond well with information.

A great amount was learned when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacted Jupiter and
the event was studied in intricate detail and is being studied to this day.
There is a body of Science now called "impact science" that deals with
these questions.

Each impact scenario would have its own set of circumstances. Each
different comet has its own properties. For example, one comet may be very
solid in mass and another might be fluffy. One comet might hit head on and
another may make a glancing blow. Science should be able to probe into the
comet prior to impact and provide an educated estimate as to properties of
a specific impactor and its potential consequences. This is quantifiable
now to a certain degree yet the natural factors involved are intricate.

If I had anything to say it would be to impress upon the public to trust
Science.

In the current situation with Comet Hale-Bopp there is a popular cultural
rumor wherein a report was made that a "saturn like object" has been
observed to be following Hale-Bopp. It is amazing how this story has spread
into the American populace so that many folks now question whether Science
is holding something back from the public. It is a consternating state of
affairs that certain media are playing into this hoax by taking advantage
of public gullibility.

Indeed, if a comet were to impact earth it would take all the best
qualities in humanity to respond and minimize any ensuing physical and
psychological chaos.

That's my two cents.   ---Tom Ashcraft  Santa Fe, New Mexico