[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Sun

>>>.. When was the last time someone saw sunspots?  When will sunspots
become more popular?<<<

Jonathon,

I look at sunspots every day and make a drawing with my 80 mm refractor.
There were two regions of sunspots in the first week of February.  Since
then it has been nearly spotless the past few weeks.

Even though it is the time of solar minimum there still can be some
extra-ordinary sunspots that occur unpredictably. There was a naked eye
sunspot group in late November that make some strong M-class flaring.

If you start observing the sun regularly then it is the daily activity
patterns that become interesting. To me, observing a spotless sun is very
interesting in itself.

But be careful of smoking your scope or burning plastic parts in a
reflector.
---Tom Ashcraft