[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp Positions Computed [RE: Off-topic: Hale-Bopp seen in evening sky!]

> From: GUESS WHO <LARSEN@CCSUA.CTSTATEUdot edu>
> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 9:58:31 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: RE: (meteorobs) Off-topic: Hale-Bopp seen in evening sky!
>
> Okay folks, put in your 2 cents worth. I've seen all the charts etc but
> I need to make a decision - exactly when in March will the comet be
> "high enough" in the evening sky to do worthwhile public observing
> sessions? What exactly is "high enough"? I'm not sure - I guess
> at least 20 degrees up at the end of astronomical twilight? BUt then
> how much time will I have until it gets too low? Can someone run a
> computer program for me and give me some numbers? I'm at lat 42 N.
> Thanks.

Hello All,
	Hale-Bopp's observing times and positions for specific locations can be
computed at the following web address,

http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/HaleBoppProg.html

[U.S. Naval Observatory   Astronomical Applications Department]

I hope this helps.
Keep those comet descriptions coming. Hale-Bopp will not be visible for
me until very late April ( 27.5 deg South).
Currently the comet rises 2 minutes *after* sunrise  :(
At least we, down-under, get to follow H-B on its long journey out of
the inner solar system.

Enjoying the virtual apparition so far though,

Colin Drescher
Brisbane, Australia.