[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #385

Bob Lunsford wrote in answer to my posting:

>> No, the beta Cygnids.  The reference is W Liller in his 'Cambridge
>Guide to
>> Astronomical Discovery' 1992, p40.  But I note the IMO does not list
>this
>> shower.  Maybe Gary Kronk can give his comments.

>The only shower I know related to Iras-Araki-Alcock is the Eta Lyrids of
>mid-May. Is this identical to your Beta Cygnids?
>
>Also, can you give me more information on the Beta Cetids of mid-August?

Hi Bob

beta Cygnids:
Definitely not the same.  Liller mentioned mid September.  Sky and Telescope
carried a report in September 1981, p236, which gives the observation
circumstances, first observed 1980 September 16-18 from radiant near 19h,
+25°.  The observers were P MacKinnon, R Keen and G Kiladis.  Keen is the
same one coincidentally that I asked for an email address on meteorobs, but
for different reasons.  The S&T report mentions that several Belgian
observers, including Paul Roggemans, did not confirm any activity around
these dates.  It also references IAU Circulars 3528, 3542 and 3545.  That's
all that I have on this shower.  It is not listed by Jenniskens in his
outburst paper, and I don't know whether there were any positive
observations since 1980.

beta Cetids:
My only reference is S&T March 1993, p119.  You would have to check with
them where their original source comes from.  The radiant is listed as just
east of beta Ceti, and active during Perseid period and into September.  I
have observed a few over the past few years, and my impression is that they
are fast, white and generally bright.

I'd appreciate more details on your eta Lyrids.

Hope this helps
Tim