[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Weird...

Cathy wrote:
>And then I remembered something weird I'd read years ago, about the meteors
>called the Cyrillids....  Anybody know anything about them...  I vaguely
>seem to
>recall that they were maybe 1930's or so, and people reporting them as bright
>and 'parallel'....  ??

I could be way off on this, so don't quote me here. If nobody else offers
anything today, I could check my files tonight when I get home and post
something more accurate. I think the Cyrillids were sort of a hypothetical
stream that would represent the material moving in Earth's orbit. Their
main characteristic is a slow speed as a result of Earth catching up to
them, if they were on the outer part of our path, or them catching up to us
if they were on the inner part. The result would be the same stream
producing meteors from different parts of the skies and the stream would
produce material all year round, with the radiants steadily changing
positions daily. During the Harvard photographic surveys of the early 1950s
I think one or two possible members were identified, but the evidence was
indeed very slim.

Sadly, since I am at work and away from my files, it is possible I am
thinking of a stream with a different name. That would be a bummer wouldn't
it.  :-)

Gary