[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Mar 13/14 ZAYGE

Well, I observed comet Hale/Bopp for the first time in the evening last
night...then again this morning.  Both from my work place in La Mesa, Ca.
Last nights observation wasn't a very serious attempt at getting any
specificis...I was just trying to find where it was at. It was low in the sky
right after sunset...quite farther towards my west than I was expecting
really. I did note a tail with my 7X50 binoculars. This morning, I found the
comet again at around 4:50 in the Northeast. I didn't make any tail
measurements. I only concentrated on magnitude estiamte. Comparing to Vega
and taking twilight and extinction into consideration, I estimate the comets
magnitude to be around -0.6.  Making any photographs of the comet now with it
low in the sky from any time of the day seems to be a useless effort for me
at the moment. I noticed my last exposure of 30 minutes on march 11 didn't
show as much detail in the tail as I were getting let's say around March 6
for 25 minutes. My next photographic effort will most likely be in the
evening later this month.
George Zay
32 North
116 West