[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Comets and Meteors(!)

> From: LUNRO.IMO.USA@prodigy.com (MR ROBERT D LUNSFORD)
> Date: Wed,  2 Apr 1997 14:42:32, -0500
> > From: Gregory M. Lobdell <gml@atadot ca.boeing.com>
> > Did anyone get an image of Hale-Bopp and M31?  Are you willing to
> > share?
>
> There should be pics of HB and M31 available from the comet home page or
> one of its links at
>
> http://encke.jpl.nasadot gov

Well, there was one, not very good image.  I'm looking for the two
together, at or near closest approach.  Anyone have a high quality
image that shows both clearly?  I suppose this is nearly impossible
since HB is mag. -1 and M31 is mag. 6.

> > At least so far, my impression is that Hale-Bopp is a great comet
> > with mediocre geometry.  Hyakutake, on the other hand, was a
> > mediocre comet with great geometry.
>
> I am getting a bit tired of the constant belittling of comet Hyakutake.

I meant nothing of the sort.  Hyakutake was a Great comet in my
(humble) opinion.  It was better than Hale-Bopp is in many respects.

Hyakutake was a mediocre comet in terms of its absolute brightness,
but its close pass raised it to great status.  Imagine what Hale-Bopp
would look like if it had been about 3 months sooner and passed within
.1 AU!

> > Looking ahead to this summer's Perseid shower, ...
>
> Aug 9/10 moonset 11:16 pm, 10/11 11:46 pm, 11/12 12:21 am, 12/13
> 01:02 am

Are these times PDT or PST?  I assume PDT but I wanted to double
check.

> New Peak Maximum: 06:00 UT August 12  (11:00 pm PDT August 11)
> Traditional Maximum: 18:00 UT August 12  (11:00 am PDT August 12)
>
> Bob Lunsford

Thanks!

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com