[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Writing, comets and sounds in the dark...

Gregg, Paul et al -

>Gregg not only does she get to hang out with wolves, but she has some very good
eyes to be able to still see Hyakutake...

The reference was to the same <location> as I got my best views of Hyakutake
from, a year ago ;) ... 65 degree naked eye tail....  Again, a solitary vigil -
as everybody else had gone home long before.... which is actually the way I like
it.   I consider comets a very personal thing, and prefer just me and the
comet...

As for writing, I must admit I wax poetic when I read the American poet Robert
Frost, with all his astronomical references...   "On Looking up by Chance at the
Constellations"...   "A Loose Mountain (Telescopic)" - about the Leonids .... "A
Star in a Stoneboat" - about finding a meteorite.... and "The Star-Splitter",
about a farmer who burned his house down and spent the insurance proceeds on a
telescope....   It is simple, down-home poetry...  with a love for the stars...

For both astronomical references, and sounds in the dark, nothing beats the epic
poem "Fungi from Yuggoth" by the American writer H.P. Lovecraft...   It is
exquisite, and will send shivers down your spine with its words about the
heavens...

- Cathy
  Captivated by the night....