[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Re: full moon and LM

>Norman wrote:
>Rainer is quite a ways further north than I am, so he won't see the moon
>as high as I will, on average.  That ought to account for his better LM
>under such conditions.  A winter full moon passes overhead here ; I
>have seen it go NORTH of the zenith in the extreme years 1969 and
>1988.  It's blazing bright when straight up -- there's no way you're
>going to get 5.0 at this time.
>
>Norman
>
>Wayne-> I had not thought of that difference! It must be interesting to
>see no shadows cast by the full moon.
>
>Wayne

I looked up my observation of Aug 12-13, 1995 with the 93% moon rising at 7h50pm
local time. Dusk ends at 8h15pm local, and I had 5.4 then. The lm dropped to 5.1
at 0h local. The moon was near the celestial equator and didn't rise higher than
38 deg here, but it does cast shadows. I can imagine it disturbs much more when
being 15deg higher in the sky...not to mention cases when it is at 23deg
declination...

Rainer