[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) hello

>Welcome to meteorobs! Sit back, relax and listen in to the conversation on the
>list. Then once you feel a little more comfortable, please feel free to
send us
>a short introduction of yourselves: who you are; where you're coming from
(just
>starting out in astronomy, or new to meteors, or been observing them for
years,
>whatever!); and last but not least, any special interests you have in the area.

I live by a creek in the damp foggy rainy Pacific northwest.  Meteor viewing
is very chancy.
I have been very intested in Hale-Bopp. Looking up info on the internet I
found a site that had a graphic of the trajectory of the comet that looked
like it will cross the earth's orbit.  I want to know from some knowledgable
meteor observers and astromoners  IF Hale-Bopp is predicted to cause a
meteor shower and when.  I am not mathematical enough to calculate orbits
and intersects and stuff in space.
If it makes a meteor shower would it be named for the comet or a back ground
constelation.
   I observed my first meteor shower (the perseids) in 1952 from a forest
fire lookout in Southern Oregon.
I currently have so much light pollution locally that it is very
discouraging.  But Hale Bopp has been  visible from the deck.
        So IF Hale Bopp creates a meteor shower I want to know where and
when so that I can get to a location where I can see it.
An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while the
pessimist sees only the red stop light.... but the truly wise person is
color-blind.
       Albert Schweitzer
   *"Green lights" will begin many more advertures.  Paint your stumbling
blocks green!

(from "I AM TO YOUNG TO BE THIS OLD" daily calendar